Sunday, January 4, 2015

Make Room

You know when you have one of those weeks where you know a lot of good stuff happened, but all you can remember is like one to two crazy things.
I guess no one would understand that unless they are a mission blogger. So you know, it happens to me all of the time haha.
But now that I think about it, there have been several memorable events this week. First of all, a crazy storm went through the mission on Tuesday. The power was out in a lot of the Gulf Breeze Sisters' area during the day. For the most part in our area, power stayed on. So it wouldn't have affected our day much if it weren't for the fact that we were planning on spending the evening with the Gulf Breeze Sisters, caroling in both of our areas. While we were out caroling, it started pouring down rain. One member family we caroled let us in for some hot cocoa, and while we were there, they lost power, as did the entire course of our drive home. So after our cocoa, I drove us home through the rain, on a busy highway, with no street lights or stop lights. But the Lord blessed me with good night vision that night, so we made it in safely! :)

Another obvious highlight of this week was Christmas! Even though in big wards it's a pretty chill day because every member wants you to come over and stay for like 3 hours of dinner, gift exchange, Mormon message watching, ect. Facetime home was a lot of fun, and pretty different than the first time and the second. I guess it just feels different when we're getting back together pretty soon. And shout out to everyone who sent us anything (including prayers and cards haha!) to make us feel more at home on Christmas.
Now the kicker of the week. Sister Seegrist and I are getting a new companion in 2 hours! There was an emergency transfer in Pascagoula, MS. Both of the sisters there got taken out, and one of them is being sent to us in Navarre. So we will be a trio until I go home! The other crazy part of that is that the new sister has only been out a week, so I'm going to be training her and Sister Seegrist will be my lovely assistant in that endeavor. I'm really excited, and nervous. I hope she does well in our companionship. :) We have a third bed now, and rearranged our study room to allow some desk space for her. It's a little cramped now, but that's just because three beds are not supposed to go in one bedroom haha! I'm sure we'll make it work.
As for updates on the nitty gritty of the work, Ernestine is going strong for her baptism. She wants her husband, a recent convert, to baptize her, so that will be exciting for him as well as her. He actually got his first white shirt and tie from his home teacher this week, and he shaved his beard off after playing Santa Claus on Christmas, so he's looking like a real sharp member. Ernestine has started carrying her Book of Mormon on her, and some passalong cards, and is sharing the gospel with people. It's really cool. Recent converts and investigators just show us up on that one!
Last thing! I got a Christmas letter from the Elliott family in Brewton. They're so cute! They are wanting me to come up there and visit while I'm still in the field. I will have to call them from the mission home before I leave or something. :) But they are doing really well, and Vicki has finished temple prep and is planning on going to the temple soon.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Be in by dark and asleep by 10:30, like us. ;)
-Sister Laura Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment