Monday, February 17, 2014

In the Movies

Y'all know that mission movie where two missionaries whitewash a struggling area and other missionaries tell them it's dead or been tracted out, and for a whole transfer it seems totally true but then they decide to be braver and then they meet an awesome family and teach them the Restoration and they agree to be baptized all within seven days?
It's a sweet movie called "Every Missionary Movie Ever" and this week it premiered in Niceville this week.
They are called the Greens, and this week we taught them five lessons, committed them to be baptized, and got them started on all the basic commitments. In a slight break from the movie plot, they couldn't make it to church this week due to work, but next week they are planning on it. They had dinner with a couple families from the ward last night, and as the crowning jewel, the Dad said "and this is something I learned as we are being Mormon". Hahaha! When they call themselves Mormon for the first time is one of my favorite moments.
So basically they are super prepared, and we have to help them go to church and quit smoking. Those are the two biggest roadblocks in the mission, so I guess it's not perfect perfect, but it would be kind of freaky if it was so yeah! They want to do both of those things though, and that I think will make a big difference.
This week we also refound the guy who came to church and then disappeared. He made some bad decisions on a trip to south florida and now has a broken wrist and no job. But we will try to help him as we can. People seriously need the gospel for sure.
As requested by my dear parents, I will share a scripture with y'all as a tradition every week. This is something that I read in the Book of Mormon this morning. Amulek is crying repentance to the Lamanites and they ask a little about his authority and how he knows what he knows. He says,

"And behold, I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many kindreds and friends, and I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry.
 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people."
Basically, I thought of myself saying "Well, I'm good at my past life job. I go to school and I do pretty good at science I guess. I don't know much about the deep doctrines of the Lord, but at the same time I do, because I have seen His power work in the lives of so many"
And that is true! And so much better than knowing everything.
Love y'all!
-Sister Laura Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment