Friday, May 24, 2013

Pedal to the Panda

C'mon, Laura, it's just like learning how to drive a car.

How many people get to think that to themselves when learning how to ride a bike?

That's righttttt... I don't know how. Some people struggle with their mission language. Fortunately, I speak both of the major languages they use in Florida! I may be called in English, but if someone talks to me in my second language... voy a responder. You know how it is. Rather than mission language... my struggle shall be... MISSION TRANSPORT.

Yeeps. How's biking down Heritage Hill for a welcome to the mish world. It's been an interesting and rather draining day, so I decided to treat myself to Panda for dinner. I told my roommate Tia that I was going to walk there. It's about 1/3 of a mile. Tia's like... "if you're careful, do you want to take my bike?"

Gulp.

I have been dyyyying to learn. Tallahassee is a big biking mission, and I need to practice. So I said yes. I unlocked Tia's bike and wobbled around and down the hill. Poor Tia. Little did she know I hadn't ridden a bike since I was like 

THIS MANY


I made it though! Turns out anything is possible! I may or may not have stopped an entire busy intersection at one point as I struggled with the concept of the pedal. oh well. Had me a lovely dinner sitting outside with my bike like some kind of health nut/ biking bum. I think the hardest part was toting that GIANT lock Tia uses... toting it on my shoulder bag. Ouch. Hopefully copies of The Book of Mormon aren't that awkward to carry. We can use backpacks! The best mission in the world, people.


"Past inspirations and experiences will be helpful in your job."

At least, that's what they tell me in Mission Prep

Maybe this will make a good story of trial and triumph someday. Tallahassans who like... biking stories... I'm coming for you.

With Love,
Sister Laura Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment